Our neighbors gave us tickets to Saturday's Air Force Academy football game against BYU. Even though we have lived here for six years, this was our first game. The kids were very excited.
I love the traditions of the Air Force. I'm so happy my kids got to see this. Here the cadet wing is in formation on the field for the National Anthem. It is very quiet in the stadium and everyone sings along softly. It is a very moving experience.
The Wings of Blue! I flew the Twin Otter for this squadron until I separated from the Air Force last summer. The jump team is amazing. There are active duty staff members but cadet team members perform a lot of the training. They do a lot of Air Shows and competitions throughout the year and they always do very well. The training they give impresses me the most. They train their fellow cadets to jump out of airplanes. This is the only airfield where a person's first jump is by himself. At other jump schools, you have instructors holding onto you as you jump. I worked with amazing Air Force NCOs at the Academy. Many of the guys had backgrounds in the TACP (Tactical Air Control Party) or survival career fields. One was a Silver Star winner. They all had amazing stories.
You can just barely see the Twin Otter in this picture.
And then there was the F-15 fly-by...
We couldn't have asked for better weather. It was a beautiful day and a lot of fun. The kids couldn't make it through the whole game so we had to leave at half-time. Air Force was leading 14-7 when we left and that's all you need to know.

1 comment:
My husband's friend got him and his brother tickets for the Holy War this weekend. He and his brother are both U of U alum. I am happy they get to go, even if it means he gets out of cleaning the weekend before his family comes for Thanksgiving!
I remember air shows in Italy- they are amazing. I love that your plane was an Otter- just like Schneider!
Post a Comment