My sister and I were able to go with my mom to her first chemotherapy treatment. She was understandably nervous. Every doctor, nurse, social worker, and receptionist has been amazing. The nurses in the infusion room are so kind. I never expected the atmosphere to be as relaxed and positive as it was. The other patients were so upbeat and ready to make a new friend. We tried to make it fun for my mom too. As fun as you can make it. We played cards and ate snacks. My mom has always had a gift of being able to laugh regardless of the situation. We were there for about five hours. Her next treatments won't be as long. There was a man sitting next to my mom who was 80 years old. He had chemo two years ago but his cancer had returned. My sister and I were both so impressed that he chose to fight it again. He told us, "I'm not ready to quit yet". There was a young woman sitting on the other side of my mother. Doctors had discovered a tumor when she was delivering her baby seven months ago. She underwent treatment at that time and thought it was gone. Just before Christmas, she learned the cancer had returned. She was there for her first treatment since getting her diagnosis. She is a beautiful woman with an incredible attitude. We were all so touched by her positive outlook. She had lovely hair down to her waist. She will be losing it soon and will likely never get it back as she will be on chemotherapy indefinitely. I wish she could see her children grow up. This is definitely a fight. I admire all those who have faced this enemy. My mom is the bravest person I know. She will have seven more treatments over the next four months and then radiation. Please keep her in your prayers.Friday, January 8, 2010
1st Chemotherapy treatment
My sister and I were able to go with my mom to her first chemotherapy treatment. She was understandably nervous. Every doctor, nurse, social worker, and receptionist has been amazing. The nurses in the infusion room are so kind. I never expected the atmosphere to be as relaxed and positive as it was. The other patients were so upbeat and ready to make a new friend. We tried to make it fun for my mom too. As fun as you can make it. We played cards and ate snacks. My mom has always had a gift of being able to laugh regardless of the situation. We were there for about five hours. Her next treatments won't be as long. There was a man sitting next to my mom who was 80 years old. He had chemo two years ago but his cancer had returned. My sister and I were both so impressed that he chose to fight it again. He told us, "I'm not ready to quit yet". There was a young woman sitting on the other side of my mother. Doctors had discovered a tumor when she was delivering her baby seven months ago. She underwent treatment at that time and thought it was gone. Just before Christmas, she learned the cancer had returned. She was there for her first treatment since getting her diagnosis. She is a beautiful woman with an incredible attitude. We were all so touched by her positive outlook. She had lovely hair down to her waist. She will be losing it soon and will likely never get it back as she will be on chemotherapy indefinitely. I wish she could see her children grow up. This is definitely a fight. I admire all those who have faced this enemy. My mom is the bravest person I know. She will have seven more treatments over the next four months and then radiation. Please keep her in your prayers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Best wishes to your mom and you who are supporting her, Alicia. My cousin chose not to do Chemotherapy and had a double mastectomy recently, shortly after her diagnonsis. I think they are all so brave, no matter how they go about it, just facing it is overwhelming to think about. I am sure there are times that might feel unbearable, but so admire the strength that they fight. I feel like such a whimp.
Post a Comment