Reality is setting in... We're homeschooling Tommy this year. Mike teaches him history and science. So far it has gone pretty well. I was nervous at first but it's pretty fun. There are days when I have to threaten to send him to the Principal's office but he knows I'm bluffing. I was scared to tell his diabetes nurse because she really wants him to live the same life he lived before his diagnosis. Tommy really wanted to do home school and I think diabetes was only a small factor. The thing I need to be more proactive about is having his friends over to play. If I could just make them promise not to tell their mothers how messy my house is, it would be a lot easier. He does stay active in karate, scouts and piano lessons.
The kids had their own birthday parties this year. Katie's was at Chuck E. Cheeses and Tommy's was at our house. They were both really fun and I was so happy the weather held out for Tommy's. My mom came out to visit us the past couple of weeks so I could work. She was such a wonderful help that I didn't want her to leave. Mike and I are very lucky to have great mothers who are willing to come out and help with the kids. Mike's mom comes out once a month so Mike and I can work our reserve weekends. They are awesome! My mom took the kids to Home Depot to make helicopters. They had a blast. There are also some pictures from my wing family day that we have every year. The Velcro bouncy was our favorite. We also took the kids to the fair. The next time we consider that I think I'll just eat a stick of butter and flush $100 down the toilet.
Here's Katie dunking one of our Security Forces troops. She wasn't scared.
Tommy and Katie's Karate class has a tradition called "birthday torture". On your birthday, the different colors of belts get to have you do different exercises. You do one repetition for each year. Katie was so excited for this. She told her instructors it was her birthday so she could do it. Here are some videos of the push-ups she did. It's pretty impressive. I am so proud of my tough little girl. She and Tommy both do very well in Karate.
We got parakeets back in April. They are a bonded pair but want nothing to do with us. I guess all that food in their cage just magically appears and I am a terrible person. Seriously, it's a bit annoying. Anyway, the girl recently laid three eggs. We're hoping their babies like us more than the parents do. By the way, we gave her plenty of nesting material, she chose to push it all aside and lay them on the wood. I'm sure she know what she's doing.